In an effort to learn more about the bisexual portion of the LGBT community, I’ve spent some time over the past few months reading both books and web based information about bisexuality and also books containing essays by bisexuals describing their thoughts, their lives and their experiences with regards to their sexual orientation.
I posted the collection of seven books that I had read as a “Top Six” list on August 17th, 2011. You can read the in-depth post here. Additionally, the seven books are listed just below. It was a top six list rather than a top seven list because one of the seven books was written solely as a rebuttal to another and I listed them together.
Finally, on the 27th of July 2011, I wrote a post about married women who love other women. That’s a situation I previously found myself in. Some of these women are truly lesbians, like myself, while others are bisexual. My post that day included two books regarding women in that situation. I’ve included those two books as well. You can read that post here.
Recent Bisexual Books I’ve Reviewed:
Bi America: Myths, Truths, And Struggles Of An Invisible Community by William Burleson. Please see my December 27th, 2011 post for my review.
Bisexual Books I’ve Reviewed as Referenced in the Introduction Above:
1. Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out by editors Loraine Hutchins and Lani Kaahumanu.
2. Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World, Second Edition by authors and editors Robin Ochs and Sarah Rowley.
3. Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women’s Love and Desire by Lisa M. Diamond.
4. On the Down Low: A Journey into the Lives of ‘Straight’ Black Men Who Sleep with Men by J. L. King (April 2004) and,
Beyond the Down Low: Sex, Lies, and Denial in Black America by Keith Boykin (December 2004) which takes issue with much of the 1st book.
5. Bi Men: Coming Out Every Which Way by editors Ron Jackson Suresha and Peter Chvany.
6. The Bisexual’s Guide to the Universe: Quips, Tips, and Lists for Those Who Go Both Ways by Nicole Krystal and Mike Syzmanski.
Married Women in Love with Other Women:
Living Two Lives: Married to a Man and In Love with a Woman by Joanne Fleisher
Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write About Leaving Men for Women by editors Candace Walsh and Laura Andre.