Sex is a deeply personal and private topic. For that reason, it’s one area of my life that I won’t be blogging about. That said, we can all use some guidance or some insight from time to time. To that end, today I’m publishing my list of the top 5 lesbian sex books chosen from those ranked very highly by readers at Amazon.com. These are not necessarily the best sellers at Amazon, mind you. These are the books that readers like you and I found the most value in. I have read most of these and I feel their ranking on this list to be well founded. Tomorrow, I’ll do the same same sort of list for the guys.
1. Sexual Intimacy for Women: A Guide for Same-Sex Couples by Glenda Corwin, Ph.D. – “Sexual Intimacy for Women helps female couples examine the emotional, physical, and psychological aspects of their relationships, with the goal of creating more intimacy. Exercises and client-based anecdotes from Dr. Corwin’s years of experience with same-sex couples help women overcome common issues around orgasm, body image, identity, aging, and parenthood. Dr. Corwin dispels myths, examines the intricacies of female desire, and gives advice to help couples achieve long-lasting, healthy, and fulfilling relationships.”
2. True Secrets of Lesbian Desire: Keeping Sex Alive in Long-Term Relationships by Renate Stendhal – “Stendhal examines the “shadow” in lesbian relationships that descends when women bond so completely that the intimacy becomes a merging, obliterating the space between individuals where desire lies. Lesbian bed death, the topic of so many comediennes, is examined and reined in, no longer an inevitable result of a solid relationship. True Secrets of Lesbian Desire casts an eye on the myths that burden us all.”
3. The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us by Felice Newman – “The Whole Lesbian Sex Book was the first-ever sex guide to offer information and encouragement for all women who desire women — lesbian, bisexual, butch, femme, androgynous, and transgender. First published in 1999, it has been lauded for its thoroughness, enthusiastic tone, and creative, nonjudgmental approach to lesbian sex in all its rich variety. Now, five years later, sex educator Felice Newman has completely updated this classic guide. There is new information throughout, up-to-date research, fresh quotes from women who share their personal experiences, a greatly expanded resource guide, new illustrations, and an entire new chapter on sex and partnership.”
4. Lesbian Sex: 101 Lovemaking Positions by Jude Schell – “Take your lover on a Joyride. Dip into Priscilla’s Punchbowl, Tongue and Groove, and Toast Her Oven like never before. Discover 101 ways to caress, rub, lick, suck, grind, and slip inside with this groundbreaking collection of lovemaking positions for women who love women. Exploring the possibilities of every erogenous zone, this lesbian Kama Sutra offers deliciously inventive ideas for women to pleasure themselves and each other, including Gilding the Lily, Peach Gobbler, Hanky Spanky, Girl Wrap, Velvet Rope, and many more. One position will tease and delight her, another will intensify or prolong arousal, and still another will culminate in mind-blowing—and even dual—orgasms. Illustrated throughout with tantalizing, sensual photography, Lesbian Sex brings lovemaking to new heights of daring, intimacy, and ecstasy.”
5. Tantric Sex for Women: A Guide for Lesbian, Bi, Hetero, and Solo Lovers by Christa Schulte – “Using an inclusive, empowering approach, this book explains how every woman — lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual, or solo — can add relish to sexual encounters and increase her pleasure through tantric methods. In a warm, knowledgeable tone, Christa Schulte explains the basics of tantric sex, including how to become more body-aware, how to cultivate pleasure using all five senses, and how to practice “Tara-tantra,” a woman-centered tantric method of her own creation. The book includes 20 helpful introductory solo exercises, exercises for couples, transformation rituals, love games, meditations, and massage techniques, and covers numerous practical strategies for helping women enhance their sensitivity, remove barriers to fulfilling experiences, and explore the spiritual dimension of their sexuality. Not only does Tantric Sex for Women show its readers how to expand and enhance sexual gratification, it promotes an attitude of remaining open to the many ecstasies of everyday life.”